Serving Kent County Area since 2011, some of the Peter’s legislative highlights include:
- Led the effort to secure critical funds for K-12 School Mental Health and Support Services Grants for our schools – 31n Funding.
- Created the state’s veteran ombudsman law that protects our heroes and provides critical oversight of our veteran homes – Michigan Veterans’ Facility Ombudsman Act.
- Established a state scholarship program that provides scholarships and support for aged-out foster children to pursue a college degree or career tech training – Fostering Futures Scholarship Trust Fund.
- Secured funds for a Granulated Active Carbon Filtration System to improve local public drinking water and combat PFAS contamination in Kent County.
- Helped create Strong Beginnings, a state investment to eliminate disparities in birth outcomes, promote racial equity, and improve the overall system of maternal and child healthcare. – Strong Beginnings Healthy Start Program.
- Collaborated with experts to develop Kent County’s innovative foster care system – West Michigan Partnership for Children.
- Spearheaded state investments for the Kids Food Basket, Feeding America West Michigan, Conductive Learning Center, Grand Rapids Public Museum, Children’s Museum, Gerald R Ford International Airport, and The Civic Theater.
- Secured state investment for the restoration of the Grand River in downtown Grand Rapids – Grand Rapids White Water.
These are not just ideas or proposals but actual examples of Peter’s record of service to Kent County. These are real solutions that have helped the county and above all, our communities.